Marching Band

Marching Band

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Introduction / the Purpose of Blogging

I believe that when you write, you should show a character's personality through stories and actions, instead of simply telling. I'm going to do the same as I describe myself-- I'm going to tell stories.
I'm the kind of person who, on a four-day weekend off from school, will spend my day home alone listening to World War Two radio broadcast recordings on my dad's record machine.
I'm the kind of person who plasters my room walls with posters of people like Gandalf, Dumbledore, and Obi-Wan Kenobi, Darth Vader, and the Beatles. In fact, I only have one poster in my room that would be socially acceptable by the standards of non-geeks, and it's of Jack Sparrow.

I'm the kind of person who will spend as little time as possible on Algebra homework, but only so that I can hurry on to English and History.

I'm the kind of person who would rather die than dance in public... unless I'm with my friends and we're listening to 'Popular'-- for irony's sake-- on
someone's iPod speakers, and we all get up to sign along and do what we call the foot-dance.

I'm the kind of person who believes-- and has acted on the belief-- that it is better to have a friend who hates you but is alive than to have a dead friend.

I'm the kind of person who will laugh until I cry on the bus because I'm reading something funny, and not care about the weird looks I get.

I'm the kind of person who, during the fall, lives for football games-- but only because football season is Marching Band season.

I'm the kind of person who gets high off Root Beer,
roller coasters, and fun.

I'm the kind of person who might commit murder if I hear the phrase "This one time, at band camp..."

I'm the kind of person who will never judge a friend but is a bit too quick to judge someone who judges.

I'm the kind of person who write incomprehensible sentences that use the same word too many times.

And most importantly to me, I'm the kind of person who will never let a friend down, who will never drink and drive, who will never willingly hurt someone, and who will always try to help the people I love.

Being who I am (a geek stuck in the past, to be blunt) I don't particularly want a
MySpace or a FaceBook. But for a while I have wanted a blog, and now, with this English assignment, I have the excuse to get one. Blogging means being able to share your views with the entire world without the distractions of 'friends' or reviewers or stalkers. Blogging gives you a chance to really take advantage of the Internet: you can link to your favorite websites, play music, show videos, post pictures... anything the Internet has to offer, you can somehow incorporate into a blog. And there isn't so much distraction that you forget the lovely old days of just reading and listening. You can have recordings of old radio broadcasts, quote books, or even just write your heart out without any fancy technological additions. Have a blog also means that as soon as you have finished writing something, it can be out in the world in seconds. It is a wonderful feeling to know that after I post this-- sitting in my home in Hawaii-- someone in England or Australia or South Africa can find out about me, get to know me, and talk to me-- all within an hour. So despite being stuck in the past when it comes to music and history, I love the Internet, and already I love blogging. Blogging means communication, potential, entertainment, and above all, freedom.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I'm the kind of person who believes-- and has acted on the belief-- that it is better to have a friend who hates you but is alive than to have a dead friend."

Er... Exactly when have you had a friend who almost died cause they were friends with you? @~@ Confuzled.

"I'm the kind of person who gets high off Root Beer, roller coasters, and fun."

Oh sure, say so now, but where what this 'high off roller coasters' when we were at Six Flags?

Nice title by the way. I'm really not surprised...

Kym said...

Hey Nat! Love ur background. Anyway, I think I finally figured out how to do a link list...this is all new to me. btw, send me herena's url!

P.S. It feels like I'm sending u an e-mail.

Rollercoaster

Rollercoaster
A nice picture my friend took on the Rose Parade Trip of a Knott's Berry Farm rollercoaster

Grace Kelly Song

'White and Nerdy' by Weird Al

Kitten is Angry

Potter Puppet Pals: The Mysterious Ticking Noise