Marching Band

Marching Band

Monday, August 27, 2007

Seven Ways of Looking at Music

First post for my Sophomore year: a poem, written in the style of Wallace Stevens' 'Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Blackbird'.

Seven Ways of Looking at Music

I
Black on white is not animated, but
the sound that comes from black on white
can be breathtaking.
II
Music left unplayed
is a wasted opportunity
to live.
III
A, F, G, E, C...
They are
they can be
So much more than letters.
IV
Both are beautiful: the potential that is in a beginning
And the thrill of making a perfect finish;
An empty staff
And a Symphony.
V
First there is panic as we seem to suddenly forget
what we have spent months perfecting,
though the music is in front of us.
But when our fingers find familiar keys,
we remember.
VI
The silence just before we begin
the anticipation
Can be more thrilling than the music.
VII
When I look at the notes, I see more than music:
I see memories.

No comments:

Rollercoaster

Rollercoaster
A nice picture my friend took on the Rose Parade Trip of a Knott's Berry Farm rollercoaster

Grace Kelly Song

'White and Nerdy' by Weird Al

Kitten is Angry

Potter Puppet Pals: The Mysterious Ticking Noise